Geology and Geophysics
Research in Geophysics
Within the department, faculty and students pursue an active geophysics research program focused in three main areas:
Dr. Harold Gurrola, mantle seismology, gravity, electromagnetic and magnetic fields.
Dr. Seiichi Nagihara, geothermal heat flow studies applied to hydrocarbon maturation.
- Geothermal Heat Flow Lab
- Researchers in earthquake seismology analyze data from
various seismic stations located on the
southern High Plains, along with
IRIS (Incoprorated Research Insitutions for Seismology) and other global seismometer stations.
- GPH 3300 Geophysics
- GPH 3310 Introduction to Geophysical Data Processing
- GPH 4300 Independent Studies in Geophysics
- GPH 4321 Seismic Exploration Methods
- GPH 4323 Potential Field and Electromagnetic Methods in Geophysics
- GPH 5300 Individual Study in Geophysics
- GPH 5303 Seismic Data Analysis
- GPH 5305 Velocity Model Building
- GPH 5307 Seismic Migration
- GPH 5310 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
- GPH 5321 Advanced Seismic Exploration Methods
- GPH 5323 Advanced Potential Field and Electromahnetic Methods in Geophysics
- GPH 5324 Radiative Transfer